We are pleased to announce that the BHI is the recipient of the Health Improvement Institute's 2011 Aesculapius Award of Excellence for health related websites. This is the second award for BHI. The BHI was rated as one of the top 3 websites receiving the eHealthcare Leadership Award in 2006. What follows is the press release from HII.
Bethesda, Maryland (December 13, 2011) — Aesculapius Awards of Excellence were announced today by Dr. Peter G. Goldschmidt, President and Founder of the Health Improvement Institute.
Recipient of the 2011 Aesculapius Award for health-related radio public service announcements was:
- Ad Council and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women’s Health - Why - a campaign to raise public awareness and understanding about lupus, a chronic disease that has serious consequences for young women.
Recipients of an Award of Excellence for health-related website included:
- Ad Council & U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women’s Health - www.couldihavelupus.gov
- Autism Speaks Social Marketing Team - www.autismspeaks.org
- Better Hearing Institute - www.betterhearing.org
- CaringBridge - CaringBridge.org
- Dr. John M. Grohol - PsychCentral.com
- Medical Education Institute www.lifeoptions.org/letstalk/ www.homedialysis.org
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) & American College of Radiology (ACR) - http://www.radiologyinfo.org/
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women’s Health - www.womenshealth.gov/heartattack.
Recipients Award of Excellence for health-related television public service announcements included:
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons - Froggy
- Ad Council and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women’s Health - Diaries
- American Lung Association - Faces of Influenza
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women’s Health - Make the Call. Don’t Miss a Beat.
Recipients Award of Excellence for health-related radio public service announcements included:
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons - Spoken Word
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women’s Health - Make the Call. Don’t Miss a Beat (Spanish).
"People need reliable information about lifestyle and health care choices presented in an appealing way. The Aesculapius Award is designed to promote and encourage excellence in the communication of good health information about healthy lifestyles, illness and injury prevention, medical care/research, family and social concerns relating to health, and health care treatments," said Dr. Goldschmidt. “We are delighted by the wide variety of organizations that chose to submit entries this year. This year's awards continue the very high standard of creativity and quality that we have seen since the awards began. More entries than ever merited an Award of Excellence. We congratulate the winners.”
A panel of judges, representing the health care, web publishing, and multimedia fields, evaluated entries. The annual award is named for the ancient Greek god of healing, Aesculapius. This award was established by the Health Improvement Institute, a non-profit, tax-exempt organization based in Bethesda, Maryland, to promote informed consumer lifestyle choices and health care decisions.
About Health Improvement Institute
Health Improvement Institute is a non-profit, tax exempt, 501(c)3, charitable organization dedicated to improving the quality and productivity of America's health care. The Institute's principal program objective is to provide information to enable people to make informed health care choices. The Institute has established expertise in evaluating the quality of health information on the Internet, conducts projects and workshops, and sponsors national awards programs to recognize excellence, including the Aesculapius Award for excellence in health communication. For more information, visit www.hii.org.